I’ve got a fab nail art effect to show you today – newspaper nails! Sounds a bit odd I know, but I love this effect. It’s also really simple to do – and I’ve done a quick how-to guide further down if you want to try at home.
For the base of this effect, I’ve used another great shade from Barry M Gelly Hi Shine collection in Lychee. This is a creamy nude shade, that gives nice opaque coverage with 2 coats and a lovely shine. And here is the finished effect…
This was my first attempt so it could be a bit neater, but I think it looks good nonetheless. So how to get this effect? Follow the easy steps below.
- Paint your nails with a nude or light grey polish – at least 2 coats for good coverage. Leave for at least 30 mins until touch try.
- Pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol (usually called surgical spirit) into the lid of the bottle to dip your nails into.
- Prepare small bits of newspaper for each nail – I tried to find an article that wasn’t about war or politics! But as I pasted the words on backwards, it doesn’t really matter.
- Dip each nail into the alcohol for just a couple of seconds, then press the piece of newspaper against the nail – try not move the paper once it’s on the nails as the text will smudge.
- Carefully lift the paper off and hey presto, you will have the newspaper text on your nails! Then add a clear top coat on to ensure it doesn’t come off. Careful as it will smudge a little, so don’t go over the same bit of nail.
I think it would probably work with magazines also, it would be good to try out some different fonts and sizes to get different effects. Here’s another close up..
Barry M nail polish is available in store or online at Boots.