Redken Global Styling Director Guido created absolutely amazing big retro curls for Marc by Marc Jacobs at NYFW 2013 and I love them!
“The inspiration for this look was a 1940’s-era woman, an uptown girl, but then we made it more fun, and thus more Marc by Marc. We didn’t want it to feel symmetrical or too perfect, the backbrushing gives a teased effect, a little crazy.”
To create the look Guido used Redken products and here is a step-by-step:
- Apply Redken guts 10 root targeted volume spray foam from roots to ends to create volume and a base for styling and blow-dry hair.
- When dry, make a deep side part and then pin curl hair in small sections, alternating with a 1-inch curling iron and 1 1/4 inch iron, pinning each curl to the the head with setting pins.
- When finished curling the whole head, leave to set and when then when hair has cooled unpin each curl.
- When finished unpinning each curl, run fingers lightly through curls and then gently brush out with a boar bristle brush for more volume.
- Backbrush the top front section and then sweep the section across the forehead and secure in place with a bobby pin.
- Finish by spraying the entire style with Redkin fashion work 12 versatile working spray to smooth the surface and hold the style.
Photos Courtesy of Charles Sykes for Redken.